Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chapter I - Analysis

In Chapter I, we learn of Huxley's futuristic world. I found it amazing that Huxley was able to even imagine such an extraordinary futuristic society during the time that he wrote this book.

I found this chapter to be highly interesting as it explains the world in general. Babies are procreated in tubes and are ranked while in the tubes - Alpha, Beta, Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons. I did not understand how they knew what rank the babies would be however and I am very interested in finding how they were or if Huxley just did not bother to create a rank system for the readers to explore.

I believe that "Bokanovsky's Process" is very important. It tells us that everyone needs to be the same - perfectly identical. In this futuristic world, there is no say in identity. You are chosen a rank and you must live by it. There is hardly any way to resist it, as you do not realize your rank is a bad thing nor do you realize that you have been conditioned to act a certain way or like certain things.

I just found it mind-blowing and almost impossible to even imagine being conditioned to be a certain way - however, are we all not conditioned to be a certain way in today's society? We learn through observation and other techniques what is okay and not okay in public.. is this being conditioned? Or just "life-lessons"? This book has really made me think about a large number of "what if"s regarding how this society is compared to Huxley's society.

Also, another interesting point I found was that the society thrives on the belief of social stability - people would go crazy and chaos would break out if our world factors of war, dirt, disease, etc. were put into their society. Their society's motto is, "Community, Identity, Stability".
I found this motto to be highly ironic. How is it that you can have an identity when you have been conditioned to be a certain someone, to work a certain job, and to like and not like certain things. It is not a true being in my eyes to be so conditioned - it is like they are almost robotic. I believe this 'identity' factor will be a very important part to the plot in regards to the rest of the book.

All in all, this chapter explains a lot of how their society functions and is run which provides insight to the reader's imagination and creates their version of the world in their eyes. It is truly amazing that Huxley was able to create such a fictional world - which scarily enough, can someday be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment